[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 11:45:51 PDT 2006

>Even more unseemly was the crush that the liberal
>left developed on Joe Wilson, who was just the kind
>of slick functionary who makes the empire run. What's
>so great about that?

In the run-up to the war, long before his Times op-ed piece, Wilson was a semi-regular participant on a weekend morning chat/debate show on the History Channel. He often squared off against some third-rate historian from the Army War College over the 'threat' posed by Iraq and the great harm we'd likely do screwing around over there. I thought he was great at the time. The subsequent disclosures complicated matters a bit, but I think it's important to take opportunistic advantage of slick functionaries when they're basically expressing our own point of view.