[lbo-talk] World Record Reading Marathon for Burma

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Mon Jun 19 12:56:00 PDT 2006

My real close childhood friend Michael Bootzin is in the midst of an official attempt to break the world record for reading for the most consecutive hours. The record to this date is held by some Brit who read Shakespeare at a Shakespeare festival for 110 hours or something (reading the whole of Shakespeare's works). Michael is doing this for charity towards the U.S. Campaign for Burma. Mike is a music teacher by day (classical and jazz guitar and piano)...He has been going more than 67 hours by now...(I think that he will succeed because for the past months he has been training by going several days with only interspersed half hour naps).

You can watch him read on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D8748C7F423074E7

-------------------------------

http://www.romanedirisinghe.com/2006/06/16/bootz-and-burma/

For Immediate Release: June 08, 2006

Contacts: Jeremy Woodrum, US Campaign for Burma, (202) 223-0300 Michael Bootzin (414)362-0324 World Record Attempt To Bring Voice To Voiceless

(Milwaukee, Wisconsin) Beginning on 16, June 2006 at 7:00 p.m. Milwaukee native Michael Bootzin, representing the U.S. Campaign for Burma, will attempt to break the Guinness World Record(tm) for speaking almost 111 consecutive hours.

The marathon effort is dedicated to the world’s only imprisoned Nobel Peace Prize recipient Aung San Suu Kyi (pronounced Ong Sawn Sue Chee) and all people in the Southeast Asian country of Burma. The event will take place three days before Suu Kyi’s 61st birthday.

“I am trying to give a voice to the voiceless,” said Bootzin. “Aung San Suu Kyi can not speak so I am going to speak out to support her.”

That same weekend, more than 250 related events will be taking place in thirteen countries and thirty states in the United States. At the event in Milwaukee and elsewhere, participants will raise money for the grassroots organization U.S. Campaign for Burma.

Suu Kyi has been under house arrest for over ten of the last seventeen years, even though her political party won 82% of the seats in parliament in Burma’s last democratic election. The military regime that rules Burma refused to hand over power and placed member of her political party the National League for Democracy in prison or house arrest. According to Amnesty International, over 1,100 political prisoners remain behind bars and Aung San Suu Kyi lives in virtual solitary confinement.

Aung San Suu Kyi’s admirers include music bands U2, and R.E.M. and political leaders Madeleine Albright, Senator John McCain, and Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice. Many know her as the “Nelson Mandela of Asia”.

Burma’s military regime has forcibly recruited 70,000 child soldiers (more than any other country in the world) as well as forced over 1 million refugees to flee the country. The International Labor Organization, a United Nations agency, has called for international pressure on the military regime for its use of forced labor, a modern form of slavery.

Wisconsin Senators Russell Feingold and Herb Kohl have been strongly supportive of peaceful change in Burma by most recently voting for the Burmese Freedom and Democracy Act. Feingold has encouraged the UN Security Council to take further action, and the Council will meet to discuss Burma this week.

The event will be held at one of Milwaukee’s best socially responsible businesses, Futuregreen. The address is 2352 S Kinnickinnic Ave Milwaukee, WI 53207 Tel (414) 294-4300 www.futuregreen.net. Bootzin, a Guitar/Piano instructor performer as well as stage hand for Alpine Valley Music Theater and the Bradley Center, has been an active local volunteer at the Hunger Task Force, Indian Council for the Elderly, The Family House and others. Most recently he helped Running Rebels, an after school program for at risk kids, obtain keyboards for a fundamental keyboard class that he taught.

“I believe we are all connected and we have a responsibility to support international human rights as well as throw our support to important local needs,” says Bootzin, as he gets ready to focus on the world record.

The current Guinness World Record(tm) is 110 hours and 45 minutes of continuous reading. Bootzin plans to begin the event with published works by Aung San Suu Kyi with a personalized slide show based on his experiences working for human rights in Burma and Thailand.

For more information on Aung San Suu Kyi and Burma, visit www.uscampaignforburma.org