[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 19 12:11:32 PDT 2006

"Michael J. Smith" wrote:

> On Monday 19 June 2006 13:04, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > Counterpunch is guilty of inconsistency though, since two of their star
> > contributors are ex-CIA staffers, Bill and Kathleen Christison.
>
> I don't want to become Counterpunch's self-appointed defense
> attorney here -- the guys can defend themselves just fine -- but I don't
> quite see the inconsistency here.

Yes. Ex-CIA agents/analysts have to be judged by what they say. Current agents/analysts are de facto criminals.

I keep remembering how movement activity steadily decreased while Watergate brought down a president, and the next election produced Jimmy Carter, the start of the Afghanistan War through U.S. actions, and the White-House approved murder of Bishop Romero. The left would have been much better off if those Watergate burglars had done a better job of it.

Carrol