[lbo-talk] samo samo

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Mon Jun 19 15:33:49 PDT 2006

> Federal law is absolutely clear on the subject: Race and ethnicity
> should have no bearing on the cost of your mortgage or the quality of
> service rendered to you as you shop for a loan. But a new two-year
> investigation in six metropolitan areas suggests that mortgage quotes
> are not always colorblind.

I wouldn't call this "samo samo" ... I'd call this "not far enough yet but still pretty good!" ... time was when an experiment like this would have resulted in many out-and-out rejections.

> As a result of the study, the coalition has begun filing a series of
> complaints with HUD's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.

That's good news. Do you remember when there was no standard, so there was no complaint to be made officially? I continue to urge people to use services without human brokers for exactly this problem: if there's discretion, it can happen, many times without management oversight. Online services have no (easy) way of establishing any of the forbiden items; companies who can't deal with that don't do business that way, so you can avoid them entirely.

/jordan