[lbo-talk] How the state (and high oil prices) consolidated Russian capitalism - Part I

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 08:33:26 PDT 2006

I'll be damned, the FT has finally started saying the same thing I've been saying for 5 years. I demand compensation! ;)

--- Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote: Below an interesting analysis by Financial Times' correspondents Neil Buckley and Arkady Ostrovsky of the reassertion of state control over the Russian economy. The process was never aimed at the restoration of the publicly-owned and planned economy of the USSR, but at placing nascent post-Soviet Russian capitalism on more solid footings - primarily by breaking the power of the Russian robber barons and reclaiming the assets they had stolen from the state in the Yeltsin era, and by consolidating key sectors under state majority ownership and control. As the report notes, the economic successes and stability of the Putin administration as well as the "confidence born of $70-a-barrel oil...could scarcely have been imagined eight years ago when, still in the throes of its post-Soviet transformation, the country defaulted on $40bn of debt and plunged into financial crisis."

Nu, zayats, pogodi!