[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way? (bis)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Jun 20 10:56:38 PDT 2006

Doug writes:
>That's not unusual, is it? A lot of CIA types are liberal
>internationalists who believe in the basic goodness of the empire,
>even if you've got to get your hands dirty now & then.

Indeed. Gloria Steinem, who worked for the CIA-funded Independent Research Service 1959-62 (and was on its board of directors till 1968), is quoted in the December 3, 1967 Washington Post saying "In my experience the agency was completely different from its image. It was liberal, nonviolent, and honorable. I found the CIA to be my best journalistic training ground because the instruction one receives from them is to be accurate, whereas publications tell you to find an angle." Of course, that 'journalism' included, among many other things, reporting on leftist youth attending the Vienna Youth Festival in 1959, including Americans, and publishing a dossier of their political affiliations and activities.

Of course, I can say this because Redstockings exposed all this in 1975, before the law about revealing the identity of an agent was passed. Now, we'd have to think twice.

Jenny Brown Redstockings of the Women's Liberation Movement http://www.redstockings.org