[lbo-talk] CIA and Feminism (was Alex Cockburn going the Hitchens way?)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:31:03 PDT 2006

Of course, Washington's point is not to get any valuable information on foreign leftists' party affiliations that Gloria Steinem informed on (the Redstockings' expose is at <http://www.cia-on-campus.org/surveil/festival.html>) -- which would have been available from published sources or its own work without her -- but to give a bad name to feminism in general and American feminism in particular internationally, poison international solidarity (it becomes difficult to trust any American feminist when the face of American feminism, which Steinem has been in mass culture, has served as a paid informant to the CIA?), and seek to control American feminists (by winning its leaders on its side, promoting pro-Washington feminists' ideas through its resources, etc.).

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>