[lbo-talk] Afghanistan: a "full blown insurgency"

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 20 11:57:40 PDT 2006

Readers of the long defunct Iraqwar.ru (well, there is a parking site occupying the domain but, needless to say, it has nothing to do with the original) may recall predictions made years ago by analysts - reportedly from Russia's GRU - of precisely the situation this article describes.

.d.

Revived Taliban waging 'full-blown insurgency'

By Paul Wiseman, USA TODAY

PANJWAI DISTRICT, Afghanistan — In their biggest show of strength in nearly five years, pro-Taliban fighters are terrorizing southern Afghanistan — ambushing military patrols, assassinating opponents and even enforcing the law in remote villages where they operate with near impunity.

"We are faced with a full-blown insurgency," says Pakistani journalist Ahmed Rashid, author of Taliban: Militant Islam, Oil & Fundamentalism in Central Asia.

Four and a half years after they overthrew the Islamic militia that had controlled much of Afghanistan, U.S.-led forces have been forced to ramp up the battle to stabilize this impoverished, shattered country. More than 10,000 U.S., Canadian, British and Afghan government troops are scouring southern and eastern Afghanistan in a campaign called Operation Mountain Thrust.

Even before fighting heated up this spring, Lt. Gen. Michael Maples, director of the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency, warned Congress that the insurgents "represent a greater threat" to the pro-U.S. government of Afghan President Hamid Karzai "than at any point since late 2001."

More than 500 people — mostly insurgents — have died since mid-May in the fiercest fighting since the fall of the Taliban regime. Since Operation Enduring Freedom began in October 2001, more than 300 U.S. troops have died, 165 of them killed in action. NATO's 36-country International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) has lost 60.

Despite the damage they can do, the insurgents do not have enough support to topple Karzai, who was elected two years ago and enjoys international support. "We are not in a situation yet where the Karzai government is threatened," says Joanna Nathan, Afghan analyst for the International Crisis Group, a non-profit research organization. But in places where they are strong, the insurgents have been able to harass government operations and relief efforts — so much so that reconstruction has come to a virtual standstill in the south and east.

"It is hurting us," says Afghan Finance Minister Anwar ul-Haq Ahady. "We build a school, and they come and they burn it. We build a clinic, and they come and burn it. We build a bridge, and they knock it down. Security is the No. 1 issue."

[...]

full

<http://usatoday.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=USATODAY.com+-+Revived+Taliban+waging+%27full-blown+insurgency%27&expire=&urlID=18616917&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fnews%2Fworld%2F2006-06-19-taliban-afghanistan-cover_x.htm&partnerID=1660>

--------- They say evil prevails if good men do nothing. What they should say is, evil prevails.

Lord of War

http://monroelab.net/blog/