[lbo-talk] advice to muggers: wear tight pants

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 03:38:01 PDT 2006

> Wall Street Journal - June 20, 2006
>
> Perpetrator Problem:
> It's Hard to Run Away
> In Falling Trousers
> Low-hanging baggy pants have been a fashion statement for young men
> for more than a decade, inspired by the advent of beltless prison
> jeans, says Andy Gilchrist, a California fashion consultant who has
> written a book on men's clothes. Over time, the tough-guy image
> associated with oversized trousers helped make the look standard for
> hip-hop performers, alternative music bands, skateboarders and
> snowboarders as it migrated from mostly black city streets to
> affluent white suburbs.

When I got back from a few years abroad and saw this style for the first time on the el in Chicago I had to suppress an urge to harrumph, "Young man, do you realize that your trousers are falling down?"

Going away for a while and then coming back is fun. You get to ask people things like who on earth are Tonya Harding and Lorena Bobbit.

-- Andy