[lbo-talk] Dems experiment with "ideas"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:04:29 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Washington Post - June 21, 2006
>
>The Democrats Reassess
>Effort to Win Battle of Ideas Includes New Web Site and Journal
>By Dan Balz
>
>... Many Democratic politicians are still tied to past glory and what
>worries some of the progressives trying to generate new ideas is that
>elected officials are divorced from what is a lively debate-in-the- making
>on national security and domestic challenges. "Somehow or another this
>conversation does not really make its way to Democratic politicians very
>much," said Michael Tomasky, editor of the liberal American Prospect.
>
>The lone exception he cited was Bill Clinton and his presidency. ...

[Oh yes, what a glorious era of Letting a Thousand Flowers Bloom was the Clinton presidency. Maureen Dowd had a good column today on the Dems' new Big-Idea Offensive:]

... Big ideas are not enough, because personalities and circumstances intervene. What matters is the bearer of an idea.

Bill Clinton had big ideas but short-circuited his presidency when he elevated his chaotic, self-regarding and gluttonous personality to a management style. Al Gore had big ideas but was too neutered by political mercenaries and focus groups to make those ideas compelling. Maybe because she had one idea that was way too big, Hillary has been running away from big ideas as though they're poison. ...

[Dowd also had this touching quote from GOP Lonely Guy Bill Kristol, who appeared at this event:]

"... since my relations with conservatives these days are so bad — with Rumsfeld and immigration and other things — I'd just as soon hang out with you guys," the Weekly Standard editor told the room of liberals, bloggers and journalists. "You're less mean."

<http://select.nytimes.com/2006/06/21/opinion/21Dowd.html>

Carl