[lbo-talk] CIA and Feminism (was Alex Cockburn going the Hitchensway?)

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Jun 21 14:29:04 PDT 2006

================================ I think it was pretty clear from leaks in the lead-up to the Iraq invasion that the CIA's analysts were closer to the the Scowcroft-Brzezinski-Kissinger school which saw it as a dangerous adventure rather than the the Cheney-Rumsfeld-Wolfowitz one which saw it as a stage for an intimidating display of US power which would strengthen its global hegemony. The war had the opposite result, and the "ultra-right" has been eating crow ever since. The differences had nothing to do with one or another side being more "liberal" or "reasonable", just one of them being more realistic in its assessment of the limits to US military power, even in a divided and weakened country like Iraq, and the adverse "demonstration effect" this would have on the America's allies and opponents.