[lbo-talk] Blogosphere and Le Monde

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 10:15:16 PDT 2006

On 6/17/06, Colin Brace <cb at lim.nl> wrote:
> On 6/17/06, John Adams <jadams01 at sprynet.com> wrote:
>
> > I thought it was telling that when TimesSelect came in, the blogosphere (I hate that word) screamed about loosing access to NYT op-eds.
> >
> > All that news, still available for free, but it was OPP (other people's punditry) they cared about the most.
>
> I don't recall bloggers screaming so much as simply pointing out that
> the NYT was going against the current, so to speak. By putting up a
> wall between itself and the blogosphere, it was seen as withdrawing
> from the debate.

Now revisiting an old discussion. . . . Has anyone here taken note of the fact that Le Monde, unlike the NYT, adds this feature (in addition to a printer-friendly page, etc.) to every article: "Citez cet article sur votre blog." When you click on that, Le Monde takes you to a page that instructs: "Pour créer un lien vers cet article sur votre blog, copiez et collez le texte ci-dessous dans votre note," the text being an HTML code that shows the article's title, the name of the newspaper, the publication date, and Le Monde's copyright.

On 6/17/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> Take my blog: its what some on this list (Dennis Redmond -- did I get
> the name right?) would probably call masturbation or some such

What have they got against masturbation? Killjoys! :->

> Often, I
> use the blog to either bookmark something or write a few quick notes
> about some experience or investigation.

Being a blogger is a little like being a collector -- a very Benjaminian experience.

"The collector dreams his way not only into a distant or bygone world but also into a better one -- one in which, to be sure, human beings are no better provided with what they need than in the everyday world, but in which things are freed from the drudgery of being useful." -- Walter Benjamin

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>