arrrgggggg was: Re: [lbo-talk] The Zuiikin girls

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jun 22 12:11:59 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> That problem exists here in the USA also. I'm trying to learn Persian
> now, but the only textbook available at a local bookstore is a
> dreadfully dry one.

There are probably more aids available in Ann Arbor. Michigan brought a Oxford (?Cambridge) scholar over in 1958 to establish a Persian language program there. I met him at a party, but all that I can remember about him was that he gave an effective though somewhat maudlin recitation of John of Gaunt's "This...England, this emerald isle" etc. from Shakespeare. Three months in Ann Arbor and he was homesick for dear old England.

Carrol