arrrgggggg was: Re: [lbo-talk] The Zuiikin girls

Guest lbodownload at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 22 22:19:52 PDT 2006

> They don't practice speaking and writing English
> because there is no
> need for most of them to speak and write it --
> except maybe would-be
> translators, professors of English, etc. -- in their
> entire lives.

Most taiwanese are very eager to speak english, whether or not it's a practical skill. But their school system fails them.

> The only notable economic impact of promotion of
> English as "ESL" is
> to give jobs to native English speakers who have no
> other discernible
> skill than speaking English.

Zing! Right in the heart.

It's no secret know how people feel about english teachers in asia, but over the years I've developed a thick navel-orange like outer rind to protect my tender feelings from such barbs. So fire away : )

Yoshie, tell you what. You tell me a better way to save 20,000 US dollars for graduate school in two short years and I'll hop right on that gravy train. Until then, keep your judgmental assumptions to yourself, mkay?

> On 6/22/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > What's the point anyway? Isn't learning, say,
> Chinese
> > more useful for someone in Japan? Or Korean, or
> > Russian? They're right next door.

Oftentimes, Korean, japanese and chinese businesses use english to communicate with one another AND with european and american clients. Everyone learns one common language instead of each person learning 7 or 8. Seems more efficient to me, but then maybe as a beneficiary of american hegemony, i am somewhat biased
: )