[lbo-talk] war polls

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 23 09:16:03 PDT 2006

As I personally remember, the low point was on the eve of the Battle of El Alamein. There was widespread concern over the possibility of German armies meeting each other in Iran and the Japanese armies in India. I recall this vividly because an ex-Presbyterian minister by the name of Gabriel Heater with an unforgettable voice would open his evening news show each day with either "It's good news tonight folks" or "It's bad news tonight folks." On the eve of El Alamein it was the latter, reverberating with tones of doom.

Carrol