[lbo-talk] Vidal on Kissinger

Doug Henwood dhenwood at PANIX.COM
Fri Jun 23 13:00:35 PDT 2006

[Lou Proyect - from whom I first got this quote years ago - just sent me the original. Here it is.]

"Among the crude Titans was Henry Kissinger. In the next few days he and I attended a half-dozen functions together. I have no idea what he was doing memorializing the American Academy; but the people who give money for such causes have made something of a pet of him, rather as they had made of Truman Capote in an earlier time. Although Kissinger and I were careful to keep some distance apart, I could hear the ceaseless rumbling voice in every corner of the chapel. The German accent is more pronounced in Europe than on television at home. He has a brother who came to America when he did. Recently, the brother was asked why he had no German accent but Henry did. 'Because,' said the brother, 'Henry never listens.' As I left him gazing thoughtfully at the hell section of The Last Judgment (as pretty and bright now as Tiepolo), I said to the lady with me, 'Look, he's apartment hunting.'

(From "Palimpest")