[lbo-talk] The new chicago seven

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 25 10:17:59 PDT 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Jim Farmelant wrote:

> This whole episode reminds me not only of the
> tactics that the Feds used against the left back
> in the 1960s and 1970s but also of the tactics
> used by the Czarist secret police in Russia.
> They used to send out agents to student hangouts
> and such in order to recruit disaffected young
> people into joining, what they were being
> led to believe, were revolutionary conspiracies
> against the regime.

But those were actual revolutionaries, or at least folks with serious potential of making trouble. Seems like our government is just fishing among the huge number of alienated and not very well-informed people we've got here in the USA. The authorities get a double bonus: the reassure the masses that they're on top of the terrorist threat, while keeping the undercurrent of fear alive.

Doug