[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 25 10:27:30 PDT 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 1:06 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Yeah, Carrol, just like Vietnam. Ever read the
> Pentagon Papers? Even they couldn't figure out why we
> were in Vietnam.

Can't remember whether I've mentioned this, but a friend of mine is writing a history diss on the City of London's role in WW I. They were against it. The City originally came into being to finance the monarchy's wars, but they'd moved on, and had much more of a stake in peaceful commerce with Germany. A group of bankers, says my friend, visited the PM, and, on the verge of tears, begged him not to go to war. Our bourgeoisie didn't beg W not to go to war, but there's not much evidence that they were egging him on. Yet Carrol knows better!

Doug