[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jun 25 12:35:47 PDT 2006

The Inimitable Carrol Cox writes:

[...]

> Looking back on the Iraq war from 10 or more years in the future it will
> be obvious that it was the U.S. not the Bush Administration which
> launched the war, and that it represented the best judgment of all
> concerned in 'ruling-class' politics of what was _needed_ to preserve
> u.s. hegemony.

[...]

> Placing the emphasis on Bush is simply another way of pimping for the
> Democratic Party and delaying the emergence of any real left in the u.s.
============================================ Sorry about that. I will keep a sharp lookout for articles which support your contention that the Bush invasion of Iraq reflected a solid ruling class consensus, and that the apparent controversy and divisions within it which preceded the aggression were an illusion. It's unfair, incidentally, to accuse me of only of pimping for the Democrats; it's evident I was was also pimping for the more sophisticated wing of the Republican party represented by Scowcroft and Kissinger, and for the Europeans, Chinese and Russians - pretty much the entire UN gentleman's club, in fact - who also departed from "the best judgement of all concerned in 'ruling class' politics of what was needed to preserve US hegemony." (Why the scare quotes around "ruling class" incidentally?)

May I use you as a reference if I apply for a job with the Democrats? A Professor Emeritus of English Literature with your impressive grasp of contemporary politics and revolutionary theory and practice would carry some weight both in my obtaining a Green Card and persuading Pelosi, Reid and Company of my abilities to help "delay the emergence of a real left in the US."