[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Jun 25 16:59:29 PDT 2006

> If Gore had prevailed in 2000, would he have invaded Iraq?

Iraq was already 'invaded' by Clinton as a continuation of GW I (do we so quickly forget the sanctions and "no-fly zones" ...?). Given the record of this attempt by the US to control Iraq and Saddam's response to it (i.e., it was disasterous, too), I think it's difficult to Monday-morning quarterback what a President Gore would have done. You can't compare that to what he says he would have done now, given what did happen. In fact, you also can't even say whether, had Gore more formally invaded Iraq, he would have used the same tactics. Hey, maybe he would have sent the 'right' number of troops, and the current Republicans on the Hill would be the ones calling for a withdrawal schedule.

/jordan