[lbo-talk] Cost of living in Moscow higher than in London

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 26 06:12:35 PDT 2006

Ira Glazer: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13130-2243245,00.html

London has lost its status as Europe’s most expensive city in which to live, overtaken by Moscow, a global survey reveals today.

---

No way. Moscow is a rich city, and rapidly getting richer, but a single person can live quite comfortably here on $1,000 a month. Every time I go west of Lithuania (which is rarely), my Moscow middle-class buying power drops through a hole.

I think if you looked at the criteria for rating "expensive" cities you would see costs cited for things like first-class restaurants, five-star hotels and so forth. That's usually what these reports cite. In short, Moscow is very expensive if one is trying to live like a rich person.

Clothes are more expensive here than in the US, anyway. Unless you're buying the cheap Chinese imports.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!