[lbo-talk] NAFTA and Illegal Immigration Connection

Auguste Blanqui blanquist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 09:26:07 PDT 2006

I read many assertions from the left today about how NAFTA and neo-liberal development more generally is fueling illegal immigration. While I'm not doubting the connecting, I would like to get more specific about extent. Has any one run across any more detailed stories or preliminary studies on the extent to which 1990s-now illegal immigration can be attributed to changes in Mexican political economy? The only index I've seen is the huge drop in rural labor force in Mexico (I think), but there've got to be others. -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060626/e5673056/attachment.htm>