[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 15:49:26 PDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Jerry Monaco <monacojerry at gmail.com> wrote:
> c) The U.S. (and Britain, among others) owe massive reparations to the
> Iraqi people, (in money and in kind, to the government and to grass roots
> organizations, all to be decided by the Iraqi people and not by the
> "donors") and these massive reparations should be considered merely the
> starting point for reversing all of the destruction the aggressors have
> caused.

Take a good look at American liberals and leftists. Do they look like they are capable of establishing a US government that would pay "massive reparations" to the Iraqi people (setting aside the absence of an entity to which such a government might pay any reparations) any time soon (if ever)?

On 6/26/06, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is really only one way out: all parties must be
> brought into a negotiating framework. This includes
> people we don't necessarily admire (such as al Sadr)

It's possible for the US military to negotiate with al Sadr if he were in charge of the whole or nearly whole insurgency, but that's not the case. Insurgency in Iraq is made up of many factions, whose leaders (if they have leaders) are unknown.

That's setting aside the American liberals and leftists' inability to establish a US government that would negotiate with insurgent leaders if they were known to them.

On 6/26/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:
> I find appalling the response I
> have heard from the left, to the question of the danger of outright
> civil war or chaos, that the Iraqis will figure it out for themselves.

It is not likely that Iraqis will figure out how to rebuild modern Iraq, and it is *impossible* for American liberals and leftists to do so, in the near future (if ever). Some problems in life have no solution, a fact that most American liberals and many leftists are incapable of admitting, but their practical lives show that they aren't appalled or even mildly embarrassed by what the US government has, is, and will be doing to Iraqis and others. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>