[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill to be Fired

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 26 20:19:49 PDT 2006

On Monday 26 June 2006 21:58, Auguste Blanqui wrote:
> I'm not talking about defending him on those grounds, but rather, pointing
> out that this inquiry into him would never have taken place without the
> right-wing smear campaign. That outweights ultimately his scholarly sins,
> which are immense and inexcusable.

Maybe so, but his scholarly sins are really irrelevant. Academe is full of shabby scholars and desperate chancers writing risible nonsense in little-read quarterlies. Churchill is no more a sinner now, scholastically speaking, than he was when they crowned him with Lycean laurel. The sins for which he is being punished are political, not scholarly ones. It would be much nicer if he were Noam Chomsky, but who is?

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org