[lbo-talk] The very worst custodians of empire

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 10:00:22 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

>I'd say that anti-Semitism isn't really at the top of
>the list of potential horrors in the US. There's
>always a risk, but as targets go, black people and
>Mexicans are much more likely.

This is similar to the situation in Germany. Neo-Nazi groups use their propaganda and newspapers primarily to attack Israel and the United States, but in their praxis, they tend to assault Africans or Vietnamese.

I suppose this is representative of the thought-scheme of most Nazis, where Jews are perceived as a "superior" force who pull the strings and control governments and banking, whereas "inferior" races tend to be the most common targets of right-wing violence.

Nonetheless, there are forces in the United States, such as Pat Buchanan, for whom a pogrom mood against Jews would be very welcome. And I think the U.S. government would not hesitate for a minute to drop Israel when it becomes a problem. In fact, it seemed a few years ago, shortly after the outbreak of the second Intifada, that this would be the case.

At the time, European media seemed to be setting Sharon up to be a sort of second Slobodan Milosevic, and the mood seemed to be that of readying for a "humanitarian" intervention in Palestine. Some figures, such as PDS politicians, openly spoke of such a mission. I think the events of September 11th led to a change in line, but I don't think it's entirely inconceivable for Israel to once more become a pariah in the eyes of U.S. ruling circles.