[lbo-talk] Re: Warren Buffett's philanthropy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 28 10:41:31 PDT 2006

Michael Perelman: Of course once the death tax is gone, US charitable giving will fall. -- [WS:] I doubt. People give money not to avoid taxes but essentially for two reasons: to buy social prestige (cf. Joseph Galaskiewicz, 'Social organization of an urban grants economy", _Social Forces_ 66:3) and to support religion (most of non-wealthy individual giving). I do not think tax policy has much effect on either.

Wojtek