[lbo-talk] In complicity with Europe and the United States, Israel Overthrows the Palestinian Authority

Michael J. Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Jun 29 18:34:41 PDT 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 18:34, Doug Henwood wrote:
> Is the state of war too much a part of Israeli identity
> to stop?

Do we need to wonder about "identity" -- isn't it just a matter of political purpose? Greater Israel has been part of the program from the git-go. They might reconsider if they ever had any real reason to do so, but they don't -- they know perfectly well they could sweep the West Bank clean and deport all the Green Line Arabs into the bargain, and the worst they'd have to face would be a week of indignant headlines. I suspect that the only reason they haven't done it already -- the reason they're going for the salami tactics instead -- is that other things being equal, they'd rather come out of it smelling like a rose. Make it look like the Palestinians' own fault, and give their imperial sponsor a little tiny moral figleaf to cover his unlovely nakedness.

-- --Michael J. Smith --mjs at smithbowen.net

http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org