[lbo-talk] Porn/prostitution question

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 30 12:02:56 PDT 2006

Chris writes:

Stupid question:

> OK, prostitution is illegal in the States.
> Prostitution is being paid to have sex with a
> client.
>
> Now, porn actors/actresses are also paid to have sex
> with other porn actors/actresses. Why is being a
> porn
> actor legal and being a prostitute isn't?

Prostitution is legal in some jurisdictions, e.g., Nevada.

The definition of prostitution or the nature of the proscribed conduct varies with the governing law of the jurisdiction where it is unlawful. In Illinois, your definition is pretty close.

“Any person who performs, offers or agrees to perform any act of sexual penetration as defined in Section 12-12 of this Code for any money, property, token, object, or article or anything of value, or any touching or fondling of the sex organs of one person by another person, for any money, property, token, object, or article or anything of value, for the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification commits an act of prostitution.” 720 ILCS 5/11-14(a).

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

However this also takes in the "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" cases I discussed a while back. Under this definition, you committ the offense of prostitution (prostitition is an offense, 5/11-14(b)) if you have sex with someone (or touch or fondle his or her genitals for the purpose of sexual arousal), or even _agree to do these things_ -- for hard cash, precious gems, Ferraris, marketable patents, or even dinner and a movie.

However, if you do, or agree to do, these things in exchange for for love or fun, you have not committed the offense. It therefore follows that in Illinois love and fun are not "things of value."

Tells you something about this state, huh?

jks