[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: [Milton-L] On Miltonic poetry]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 30 19:11:43 PDT 2006

(The point is in the apended post from some other listserve)

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [Milton-L] On Miltonic poetry Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:59:57 -0400 From: James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> To: John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>

Didn't Newman refute that kind of argument about selfishness in the 19th century (that all actions proceed from selfish motives)?

The following was posted to another listserve I'm on -- seemed interesting and odd and appropriate to this list

***** A funny thing happenned today at DeMoulas. I just got some feta cheese and mamoth black greek olives at the deli and headed over to the produce department when I spotted a blond- haired young man stacking oranges. He was talking, but to no one in particular. As I came closer it sounded like he was reciting poetry; real poetry, almost familiar. So I said to him; "that's nice, what is it?" He said, "Paradise Lost". I said, "oh, you know it?" He said; "I know it by heart". Then he said to me, " I got a raise today; seventeen cents. My manager said that's six dollars and twelve cents a week. My Mom's gonna be happy." *****