[lbo-talk] life in the rubber room

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 1 15:04:16 PST 2006

Doug quoted another "WSJ" article:

In Flint, Mr. Mellon also sees change on the horizon. "I understand the Jobs Bank needs to have an end to it," he says over a beer at lunch in Flint's Caboose Lounge. "I mean, they've paid me like $400,000 over six years to do nothing, to learn to deal blackjack. But buy me out. Retire me with something like $2,000 for every year I worked. I need that because you know they're going to keep cutting our health care and pensions. You are so vulnerable in retirement."

Amen bro. A proletarian has plenty of absurdity, but no security. I mean, what was that question for the bourgeoisie in the "Communist Manifesto": "What to do with the unemployed?"

Skills are commodities, like the corn or wheat which the bourgeois (democratic) government pays farmers not to grow....absurdity is one of the true prices of productivity in a capitalist system. A more rational way to manage capitalist social relations at this point in history would be to legally reduce the work week. But fools (including most polytricksters) fight this notion tooth and nail. It's like global warming, they tell you you're pissing in the wind if you tell people to stop burning carbon based fuels now, unless of course, you're talking about re-legitimizing fission generated energy.

The ruling class has the power because they control what workers produce for them (ahem, the consequence of accepting the fair day's wages system) and the workers, for the most part, think they're just individuals, consumers whose only power might be to decide, in that great free-market of commodities, what sort of fashion to sport as the grass grows taller in Antarctica.

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal