[lbo-talk] DIY abortions

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Mar 2 07:35:10 PST 2006

Wojtek,

I'm sorry that you are feeling so hopeless and nihilistic this morning, but you are simply wrong.

Militant action always gets better results than working through the system. This is just illustrated by history. The 1964 Voting Rights Act was apporved only after decades of illegal, militant struggle by the civil rights movement. Later in the 60s, when it became clear that awful social conditions were burning down our cities, the government scrambled to implement more social programs. Looking even further back, the militant labor movement won us things like the weekend and shorter working hours.

It's laughable that anybody sees Moveon.org as effective. They are effective at raising money. They haven't done anything else other than manufacture lots hype.

Right now I'm listening to Laura Flanders on the radio and she's ranting about the anti-abortion movement in South Dakota. One of her guests, from South Dakota, made a very simple observation about what people can do: send money to groups in South Dakota. Groups like Moveon.org can raise all the fucking money they want, but they won't have any impact until they spend $1 on grassroots organizing in the so-called "red states." If liberals don't understand that they can only win by organizing out there, then they deserve to lose and I will have a party next November to celebrate another year of Democratic stupidity.

Chuck Infoshop.org