[lbo-talk] Dubya does Delhi: will the chimps make rude noises?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 2 08:11:37 PST 2006

John Lacny wrote:

>That said, I find it disconcerting that she is singled out for contempt when
>there are plenty of other talented writers with shallow left politics (Gore
>Vidal and Norman Mailer come to mind) who aren't held to such a high
>standard.

As if by fate, this profound exercise in comparative listmaking just in from Mailer, in the current issue of The Nation. No-Cal?

Doug

----

The Nation - March 13, 2006

The March of Progress NORMAN MAILER

This list is, of course, open to debate. A hundred, if not a thousand, couplings could be offered in their place. I will say that the last two pairings are quintessential to the premise behind these categories. Originally, they were first on the list.

MODERN POSTMODERN

steel plastic Picasso Warhol Pullman & Coach First Class & Economy romance narcissism pot roast vegan FDR GWB Hitler Hussein Churchill Blair Zionism Israel USSR People's Republic of China consumption cancer Gone With the Wind The DaVinci Code drought flood blizzard global warming steak salad beer lite beer dessert No-Cal tycoons CEOs typewriters PCs Off-Broadway Off-Off-Broadway bebop rap shoes sneakers library Internet epistles blogs Gallo Pinot Noir bourbon single malt the Depression the 1990s corner stores malls Sinatra Eminem farming agribusiness slums projects highways superhighways Sears, Roebuck Wal-Mart antiseptics antibiotics heart attacks bypasses concentration fragmentation war terrorism