[lbo-talk] Dubya does Delhi: will the chimps make rude noises?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 08:38:35 PST 2006

--- Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could somebody fill me in on why she attracts so
> much contempt? I'm
> not a fan (except of God of Small Things), I just
> don't understand why
> she gets singled out.

I dislike her in particular because we have the same thing here (assuming that I am interpreting her correctly) -- Russian writers who rewrite reality in order to meet the preconceptions of a particular foreign audience. Roy apparently deliberately misrepresented public opinion in India in order to appeal to the Guardian target audience. Similarly, because she says the right (from an ideological point of view) things about Russian reality, Anna Politovskaya, who has been found guilty of libel on multiple occasions, gets morphed by the Guardian into the Only Honest Journalist in Russia (!!!!) and lucrative English-language book deals. They should put that on the book jacket: "having been found guilty of libel multiple times, groundbreaking journalist Anna Politkovskaya tells the truth!"

Nu, zayats, pogodi!