Social movements (was Re: [lbo-talk] DIY abortions)

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Mar 2 16:49:49 PST 2006

Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Sorry you feel that way. Which statements in particular do you consider
> to be ""ridiculous nonsense" which present a "cartoon version" of your
> politics? I'd like to be persuaded I've got you (and Woj) all wrong on
> this issue.

I'm constantly misrepresented as being an "action freak." I do advocate direct action and other tactics, mostly because there aren't enough people advocating militancy. American left politics is dominated by social democrats and others who actively try to recuperate any form of militancy, even when it is a tame as me suggesting to local peace activists that they organize a nonviolent picket around a defense contractor in Johnson County. I work with liberals and I try to get them out of their (and my) comfort zone. I'm a veteran activist and organizer, so I understand that you don't use a hammer for every task.

I also understand how militants serve to make the reformists more palatable. There was alot of this coalition work going on between reformists and militant anti-globalization activists. I was one of the few people at one time who was organizing with both the Mobilization for Global Justice, the Anti-Capitalist Convergence and the black bloc. I was probably a bit too friendly to the NGOs for the taste of my black bloc comrades, but I understand that many of the reforms they are fighting for will make an immediate impact in the lives of billions of people.

Another example of my politics was the meeting I was supposed to be part of on 9/11. Several of us involved with the black bloc had been going to unity meetings between us, the AFL-CIO, and the religious activists. Our third and final meeting was supposed to have happened on the afternoon of 9/11.

Most of my activism--probably 99.9% of it--involves education and doing support work for other activists. The main tool for my work is Infoshop.org, but I work with many other groups and projects. I just got off the phone with an organizer from the Victoria's Secret campaign.

I get paid very little for this work, but if you want to support me and my activism, Infoshop is kicking off its Spring fundraising campaign tonight.

Chuck