[lbo-talk] Bartels on Frank, etc.

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Mar 3 07:36:41 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Larry Bartels has posted the updated version of his critique of Tom
> Frank's What's The Matter With Kansas on his website (it's the top link,
> ID'd as QJPS 2006). The original is just below it (APSA 2006). The early
> version used a definition of the white working class as white voters in
> the bottom third of the income distribution. Drawing on Ruy Teixeira's
> work, Frank rejected that definition, preferring the lack of a college
> degree as the standard. Neither definition, however, supports the thesis
> of What's The Matter With Kansas.

I talked to a Kansas-based comrade about this issue last night, who knows Frank and who is knowledgeable about class issues in Kansas. I have to say that Bartels really doesn't know what he is talking about. Here in Kansas, the right wing HAS made inroads into the working class.

Frank's overall thesis is correct. The big question is will the Democrats listen to one of their own or will they keep digging for excuses to blind them to reality?

Chuck