[lbo-talk] how to get flagged

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 10:35:27 PST 2006

Andy F posted:

<http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=RAISEALARM-02-28-06>

Query: I presume that at some point a human on the federal level has to look at alerts such as this.

Do you suppose that this is the sort of swamping with stupid intel the FBI was complaining about?

=============================

Yes, and beyond the sort of complaints coming from the FBI - which are more operationally focused (e.g. 'how do I sort through the torrent of stuff relentlessly added to my to-do list to find actual items of interest?') civil libertarians and computer security professionals have criticized the Bush administration's obsession with data mining for reasons this story vividly illustrates.

Cryptologist and all around comp-sec guru Bruce Schneier has written extensively about these issues.

Regarding data mining -

<http://www.schneier.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Match=1&Realm=blog&Terms=data+mining>

Regarding NSA total surveillance efforts

<http://www.schneier.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Terms=nsa&Realm=blog>

.d.

---------

http://monroelab.net/blog/

Quantum mechanics is the coolest thing ever invented, ever.

Sean Carrol, physicist