[lbo-talk] Social Movements

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 3 12:01:52 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Cmde Cox opined:
>
>> Like Wojtek, politicians and capitalists are scared shitless
>> by public action. I began to catch on, actually, about three
>> years before I became active, when I read a newspaper article
>

>Let's see. Politicians and capitalists are not afraid of sacking people,
>cutting their wages and benefits, screwing them on health care, busting
>their unions, exporting their jobs overseas, cutting public services, fixing
>the political system by bribery, gerrymandering, hook and crook, sending
>people to die in senseless imperial adventures, jacking up prices of life
>necessities to make fabulous profits, flashing their middle fingers at
>virtually every country and people in the world and so on and so on - but
>boo hoo they start trembling in their boots when they see a stone-throwing
>and window smashing mob.

I agree the Cde Cox can be untethered from reality, but you're talking about different things here. The bourgies can get away with these things because the US public is massively demobilized and passive. If that public ever resisted in an organized way - a long shot, but not impossible, someday, maybe - then the big boys would definitely be scared shitless.

Doug