[lbo-talk] Bartels on Frank, etc.

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 3 17:20:30 PST 2006

mike larkin wrote:

> */Seth Ackerman <sethackerman1 at verizon.net>/* wrote:
>
> To say that middle-income whites don't respond to populism means that
> Dems have already tried a populist strategy directed at middle-income
> whites. But where and when have they done it? Lower-income whites
> vote
> Democrat because Dem rhetoric evinces concern for "those left
> behind."
> But in their policy-rhetoric the Dems never evoke any conflict of
> interests between the rich and "everybody else." So how could
> mid-income
> whites possibly recognize themselves in it?
>
> Seth
>
> But the inability of people like Edwards (Mr. "Two Americas") or
> Kucinich to generate much enthusiasm in 2004 can be shown to
> demonstrate that middle income voters don't respond to "us versus
> them" populism. That's why the term "working families" is so
> noxious.! It turns middle income voters off.

Actually, I think Edwards (who's no social democrat, of course) is a potentially winning candidate who will run again and have a very good chance. His Two Americas schtick worked quite well. Remember, the Dem primaries were happening in the middle of the Iraq invasion, with all the psychosis around national security that engendered, and Edwards had no foreign policy expertise. But his campaign was reminiscent of Clinton's campaign in 1992, whose policy centerpiece after all was universal health insurance (no specific plan proposed) and whose rhetorical catchphrase was that people who worked hard and played by the rules were getting shafted. And that worked. And then the first thing Clinton actually did once he won was NAFTA.

Kucinich had....other problems.

Seth