[lbo-talk] Social Movements

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 21:41:43 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>Good point, but I think it is more complicated than
>just "playing it nice" vs. "in your face." I think
>that the contents of the message does matter. The
>right-wingers might be in-your face, but they portray
>themesleves as the defenders of the common sense,
>whereas left wingers are either seen or deliberately
>portray themselvs as, well, way-in-the-left-field. So
>it makes all the difference in the world if someone
>acts like an in-your-face jerk to defend the ideas
>that most people perceive as "familiar" and "common
>sense," and someone else acting like an in-your-face
>jerk to push ideas that most people perceive as
>"strange" or "wacky."

Sorry, Woj, disagree. The "strange" and "wacky" ideas pushed by the left are things like peace, saving the environment, universal health care,

support for the disabled, universal education.... not at all strange or wacky. I think

But there definitely are problems some, like rabid atheism, need to be worked out by the left; others, like racism or homophobia need to be worked out in the country as a whole.

Joanna