[lbo-talk] Michael Yates: Right-Wing Attack Dogs Go after a Colorado High School Teacher

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 09:10:57 PST 2006

--- Michael Pugliese <michael.098762001 at gmail.com> posted this link:

> Hiding?

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/art/slides/dayphotos/030206/1.jpg
> The, "Rocky, " is the RW tabloid here.
> http://secure.eonstreams.com/koa_am/GeoTeacher.mp3

Three comments:

1. I listened to the whole recording and did not find a single statement this teacher made which people on this list, including this writer, would fundamentally reject. I might qualify some of these statements, but not fundamentally reject. I think that any self-respecting progressive organization in this country should support this teacher not just out of the free speech principle, but also because he is one of us.

2. I think the right wing joint that publicized this recording did the teacher a huge favor. What was basically a high school classroom rant has been turned into a nationally broadcast political speech.

3. I think that the form in which the teacher deliverd his presentation was not the most effective, to say the least. People do not like being lectured, especially when the ideas being presented to them are either unfamilar or objectionable to some.

A far more effective delivery method would be to start with a dialog with the students in which all sides would agree on the principles which the teacher argues the US is violating. Having agreed on these principles, the teacher could then give examples of policy behavior, including but not lmited to the US, and ask the students to evaluate how these policies square with these principles.

If someone insisted that US is not violating these principles, the teacher could ask him to justify his position and then ask other students if they were convinced by that argumment. And if that person still insisted on his support for the US policies - well, there are limits what one can do. Some people will not be persuaded, no matter what. It is a fact of life.

I think that such a method of presentation would not only be more convincing to the students, as they would reach their own conclusions instead of being handed down those reached by the teacher, but it would save th eteacher a lot of legal troubles. Many may object to lecturing, but nobody can object to promoting a student discussion of controversial subjects in the classroom.

Wojtek