[lbo-talk] Social Movements

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 4 10:47:30 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Never on demand, never totally
> illegal.

The "on demand" demand is the part of the argument that links it most strongly to women's liberation struggles -- i.e to making sexual relations for women as untrammeled as sexual relations for men. This is one of the reasons the "Choice" argument was so mistaken, by grounding the demand in bourgeois individualism rather than in personal needs and rights.

One possibility for the future: formation of an organization around providing the morning-after pill to everyone who wants one. The program would have to be an illegal program, given the many constraints being put on that pill as well as abortion in general.

Incidentally, I financed two abortions for SDS members in the '60s when it was still illegal. (No, I wasn't the male involved in either case.)

Carrol