[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble and the union

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Sat Mar 4 11:31:14 PST 2006

At 02:14 PM 3/4/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Michael Hoover wrote:
>
>>left 'anti-union' views of type expressed on this list
>
>I don't know who expresses anti-union, or even "anti-union," views on this
>list, unless, like Nathan, you think that criticism is the same as
>opposition. My beef with American unions is that they do a piss-poor job
>of organizing and representing the working class, and it shows in the
>material insecurity and political underdevelopment of so many American
>workers. If that's anti-union, sorry.
>
>Doug

I'm not sorry to overpost, but I just said this in comments at the blog.

Why the HELL would a union give up the opp. for the publicity they're going to get from this. Good fucking grief. I am thoroughly disgusted by the defense of the attitude that, if he didn't pay his dues, then fuck'm

White boy, PUHLEASE!

Even at the cost of labor and other expenses, you can't buy publicity like this. Not to mention possibilities for fund raising. For christsake.

But more, at root, the first response of any union ought to have been, Fuckmedead, here's our perfect constituency and he's not on board, paying his dues. Where are we going wrong?

No. Instead of little introspection, we get "fuck'm".

And people wonder why other people might break a picket line.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org