[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble and the union

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 4 12:29:23 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> > union bashing
>
> Would you give this formula a rest? It's a propagandistic way of
> deflecting well-earned criticism.
>
> >There is more union bashing on this list than any other
> >"progressive" forum I am part of.
>
> No more than in a typical issue of Labor Notes.

I think the word "criticism" (as a political term) is regularly misused on this list, and is being misused here. Criticism in Labor Notes is FROM THE INSIDE, while the tone of alleged criticism on this list always has the tone of external carping. It's only this morning that I finally found the word to describe that tone: Snobbery. "I am not as others are; I'm above that; I'm not part of 'That Left Out There' or 'That Union Movement Out THere.' I'm independent."

Carrol