[lbo-talk] the Red States Academy Awards

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Mar 4 20:32:40 PST 2006

[from the right-wing PR firm Special Guests]

From: "Special Guests" <gerald at riverview.net> To: dhenwood at panix.com Subject: Red States' Movie Awards/ Interview Opportunity X-Return: 168265_844800_700155_598270

<http://specialguests.com/guests/viewnews.cgi?id=EEuEVFEuyuBdeNcMct&style=PrintFull&tmpl=print>Printer Friendly

RED CARPET RED STATES' AWARDS

Oscar Has Competition!

With an unprecedented number of non-family-friendly films being nominated for Oscars this year, coupled with liberal John Stewart hosting the show, mainstream America was screaming out for alternative to the Academy Awards.

Bestselling children's author Katharine DeBrecht, author of the new book "Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper," heard the screams and has issued her own awards: The "Red Carpet Red States' Awards" for excellent family-friendly movies, most of which were snubbed by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The Red Carpet Red States award for best picture will be announced on Monday, March 6, 2006.

The promotional poster for the Red States' Awards features five "Oscars" of their own - Oscar fish, that is, or guppies or cartoon carp or whatever Dr. Seuss was depicting in his classic children's book. The caption of the poster doubles as the theme of this year's Red States' Awards: "One State, Two S tates, Red States, Blue States".

Said DeBrecht, "This year's Fish theme from a line out of a Dr. Seuss book clearly demonstrates the growing cultural gap between Hollywood and mainstream America and this gap will be on full display in this Sunday night's Academy Awards ceremony. It's time for mainstream America to snub 'Hellywood' and honor its own best pictures."

DeBrecht is conducting Talk Show interviews to discuss her picks for the movies that should've won Oscars -- the Red State Red Carpet honorees - because, as she says, "Hollywood has turned its back on America."

Nominees for the Red Carpet Red States' Awards include: Chronicles of Narnia, March of the Penguins, Madagascar, Walk the Line, Harry Potter, Pride & Prejudice, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, and Cinderella Man, etc.

Last year DeBrecht conducted a successful media tour promoting her first book, "Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed!" that was praised by Rush Limbaugh, condemned by Hillary Clinton, and hit #1 on the Barnes & Noble.com sales charts.

Quotes by Katharine DeBrecht regarding this year's Oscar picks:

"The movies garnering the most nomination included films about feature sympathetic terrorists, gay cowboys, communist sympathizers, and transexuals. How bad is Hollywood out of touch with mainstream values? None of the best picture nominees were even in the top 20 highest grossing movies of last year!"

"Selecting John Stewart as its host only offers more proof that the Academy has taken a turn to the far left. Stewart uses his show to attack President Bush nightly, and he freely admits he voted for Democrat John Kerry in 2004. He once mocked a Christian guest who was explaining intelligent design, saying he wanted to 'smoke a bong' with him. Stewart is hardly a reflection of mainstream America, so in that sense he was the perfect representative for Hollywood."

"It's time to roll out the Red State Red Carpet to high quality, family friendly movies that the Oscars snubbed. Forget the gay cowboys -- let's tell Hollywood to take a hike and talk about the movies that were truly the best of 2005."

*** Praise for the "Help! Mom!" series, a biography of Katharine DeBrecht, a book review and suggested interview questions for show prep follow. ***

Praise for the first book in the HELP! MOM! series

"Our hat is off to Katharine DeBrecht, the author of HELP! MOM! THERE ARE LIBERALS UNDER MY BED! " - Rush Limbaugh

"A dandy Christmas present for young and inquiring minds" - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

"An adorable story" - James Taranto, Wall Street Journal

"Can't wait for the sequel" - Philippe Reines, press secretary to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper! by Katharine DeBrect, illustrated by Jim Hummel

Janie and Sam were happy just being kids - that is, unti l celebrities started popping out of their hamper to tell them how to behave and to sell them expensive clothes. With Hollywood and its friends in the liberal media declaring war on traditional values, what's a concerned parent to do? It's "Help! Mom!" to the rescue! This hilarious sequel to Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! reunites gifted storyteller Katharine DeBrecht with award-winning illustrator Jim Hummel for another small lesson in conservatism.

ABOUT KATHARINE DEBRECHT:

Katharine DeBrecht is an author of conservative children's books and a mother of three. Her first book Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! hit #1 on the Barnes & Noble website in September 2005 and was profiled by the Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other publications. A graduate of Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, DeBrecht served as co-captain of "Security Moms for Bush" for South Carolina, where she resides with her husband and children. Her l atest book is titled Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper!

SUGGESTED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR KATHARINE DEBRECHT:

1. What ever possessed you to come out with your own Movie Awards?

2. Some people refer to you as a modern Dr. Seuss. How does that make you feel?

3. Of all the possible topics for children's books, what inspired you to write one that makes fun of Hollywood?

4. What do you think of this year's Academy Award nominees for best picture?

5. Which films won your Red States' Awards and why?

6. In your opinion does Hollywood in general have a political bias?

7. You have three sons of your own. What is the rule in your home: In your household, do you and your husband allow your children to watch the Academy Awards?

8. Tell us about your new book, "Help Mom! Hollywood is in my Hamper!" Why did you choose celebrities such as Madonna, Britney Spears, Barbra Streisand, and even Howard Stern to appear as v illains in your book if you are so protective of what children should be allowed to view?

9. In your book, a character who looks a lot like Tom Cruise talks about a religion called "Toenailology." What's that all about? And was he standing on a chair screaming?

10. What did it feel like to have a #1 bestselling children's book last year that received such criticism?

11. Many critics have said that it's inappropriate to expose children to politics. How do you respond to that?

12. Last fall, Hillary Clinton's spokesman attacked your book, former New Republic editor Andrew Sullivan called you a Maoist, and the Democratic Underground named you to their "Top 10 Conservative Idiots" list. Did all of these liberal attacks get to you, or in any way upset your family?

13. Does Hillary Clinton make another appearance in Help! Mom! Hollywood's in My Hamper?

14. How may our listeners get a copy of your books?