[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble, reply to Nathan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 5 09:14:24 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>Spending money defeating TABOR and its variants is far more
>>important for the broad public interest than defending the rights of lefty
>>intellectuals to spout off in the classroom.
>
>-Right. And one can't walk and chew gum at the same time, right?
>-Mental powers are limited.
>
>Apparently, since a google search reveals not a single mention of the
>Colorado struggle over TABOR, arguably the largest progressive victory of
>2005. So LBO mental powers appear to be quite limited to lambasting
>Colorado union leaders for their supposed failings, rather than their
>victories.

Oh please. If it was such a great victory - "arguably" the greatest of the year! - how come you didn't tout it earlier? That's what we rely on you for. This teacher's case has become a national sensation, and it's hard not to react to the case. Googling "Colorado TABOR" doesn't show a heckuva lot of interest from left-liberal sources - most of the top hits are from right-wing and legislative wonk sources - meaning that lots of people missed this "arguably" great victory.

Doug