[lbo-talk] a teacher in trouble, reply to Nathan

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun Mar 5 10:40:40 PST 2006

On Mar 5, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Adams wrote:
>
>> On Mar 5, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>>> Well I sure didn't know shit about what Nathan calls "arguably" the
>>> greatest progressive victory of 2005. And if it was "arguably" (a
>>> word I keep putting in quotes, because it's such a wussy cliche)
>>> such a great victory, how come almost no one seems to have noticed?
>>
>> I read about it, and I'm neither a right-winger nor a policy wonk.
>> Perhaps if it'd happened in a state bordering an ocean, or possibly a
>> Great Lake...
>
> Ok, then, so why didn't you bring it up, if it was such a momentous
> victory?

While this argument is a red herring, I'll still answer it: Because the argument didn't really engage me till you said something that contradicted my experience.

> Kansas has gotten a lot of attention, but it has no watery borders.

Just proves the value of good PR. After the Kansas Chamber of Commerce got the rights from Thomas Frank to republish the Reader's Digest version of his book under the title "What's Right With Kansas" and flog it in the Christian book stores and the Wal-Marts of the world, Kansas' split of the fifty-state mindshare was a healthy seven percent.