[lbo-talk] let the rich spend!

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 12:04:45 PST 2006

Andy F wrote:
> On 3/4/06, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Saw another study in the defunct magazine Emigre' which indicated that
>> people with large sums of money were also much more suceptible to
>> advertising on TV. My assumption is when one is tired and stressed
>> to the point of sexual impotence, one is psycholgically more susceptible
>> to TV advertising's traditional hooks: sex, excitement, and unless you
>> have *this* widget, your life is incomplete. (Of course, if your life
>> revolves around 'stuff' and the means to get it, your life will never *be* complete, but hey, it's just giving 'em what they want (...and we'll have no analysis here of from whence those wants originate, right Woj? It's individual choice, sacrosanct... nothing institutional about those desires...)
>>

> Funny, going into this paragraph I thought you were referring to the
> *bottom* 20%.

Yeah... kinda says something about what the "upwardly aspiring" are really aspiring to, and what perhaps, supplys the drive and motivation for modern hypercompetitive behavior.

As Black Elk (1863-1950) said when asked what he thought of modern progress: "I guess that depends on what you're progressing towards". (cf. Gandi's" "Western civilization? It would be a good idea...")

I think we're progressing towards bury ourselves in our own plastic junk.

TV TurnOff week is April 24 to April 30 2006 Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighm.wordpress.com/