[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 5 13:32:47 PST 2006

--- Wendy Lyon <wendy.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> But there are still plenty of smaller cities,
> particularly in the less
> advanced countries, which don't have what are known
> here as 'High
> Street' shops. And every country still has its own
> pop stars who are
> unknown abroad. If you're interested, you can take
> a look at the
> current Irish Top 40 album chart here -
> http://www.rte.ie/2fm/charts/albums.html - many of
> those names would
> be familiar to pop music fans worldwide, but
> certainly some of them
> wouldn't. Countries whose primary language isn't
> English must have an
> even higher proportion of non-exportable culture.

Yup. Russia/the former USSR has a hopping pop/rock music scene nobody outside the Russosphere has ever heard of, except for tatu -- and that's only because Tatu did some songs in English. Ukrainian rock is a whole genre. I think I played you some 80s Soviet punk (Grazhdanskaya Oborona) when you were here.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!