[lbo-talk] WBAI in action

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 00:14:09 PST 2006

KPFA's original goal was $1m and the fund drive had to be extended for two days. If KPFA continues down the same path, it will end up like WBAI. That is to say, the main problem at WBAI is not that they are fond of using anti-official-story-of-9-11 material during pledge drives, but that the station management is corrupt. Likewise, the trend at KPFA to set ever higher fund-drive goals to sustain a bloated budget is foolish. I am disappointed to see that Doug would seek to conflate these issues when he knows the nature of the problem as well as I do. Rather than have people understand the nature of the crisis at WBAI, it seems Doug would rather use it as a premise for yet another round of gratuitous conspiracy bashing on this list.

In fact, anti-official-story-of-9-11 material is also a fund drive staple at KPFK and KPFA - and this has been increasingly the case since the event. Gun's & Butter, the only KPFA program that deals with that material on a regular basis, raised $20,000 in one hour! during the fund drive. The show's host, Bonnie Faulkner, was specially asked by the development and public affairs directors to do an extra day of fund raising - not because they care for the material, indeed they are as allergic to it, as most lbo-listers - this however did not dull their sense of enlightened self-interest when they decided to run more 'conspiracy stuff' in order to raise money - because they know the audience 'laps it up'.

which is really the main problem - the *need* to raise more money: it is a problem at KPFA and at WBAI, and it is a dangerous trend. Both stations, and the Pacifica National Office need to reign in their budgets and reduce the overhead. Such statements are disingenously dismissed by key KPFA staff as 'union-busting'.

During the KPFA fund drive many program hosts stooped to new lows in terms of the battery of alarmist and downright mendacious exhortations that were brought to bear upon the listeners (paraphrasing) : "if you don't send in money we won't be able to pay the mortgage on the building" (note: in fact the mortgage is paid off), or, "our electric bill will be cut off tomorrow and we'll be off the air" etc. These have been commented upon widely by listeners who happen to know what is actually going on at the station.

I'd just prefer that we are clear what we are talking about.

Joe W. (incidentally, a member of the KPFA Local Station Board)

p.s. apart from WBAI, it would also seem that the readers of In These Times are also losing their minds:- http://www.inthesetimes.com/site/main/discuss/2444/

We must speak the truth about terror. Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories concerning the attacks of September the 11th; malicious lies that attempt to shift the blame away from the terrorists, themselves, away from the guilty. To inflame ethnic hatred is to advance the cause of terror. - George Bush speaking at the United Nations on November 10, 2001.