[lbo-talk] Re: oscars

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 6 09:25:51 PST 2006

I didn't even know Crash was nominated. I thought it was a pretty mediocre film--the same depth (and tediousness) of politics and characters that I'd expect from an average TV show. Evidently they sent far more screeners out to Academy members and Brokeback and others didn't because of fear of piracy (dolts) so, in addition to being a good "safety" vote to keep the right wing at bay, it is possible that more people saw it (either way, a fact that makes the phony PAC ads for oscar candidates that peppered the show all the more relevant--not really about art but insider politics). That's a shame because I'd say they should have been watching North Country or Hustle and Flow--much better films in my opinion.

On the whole I expected more from Stewart. Mostly just snark and a few one liners. Still, not much else he could do to save that broadcast. Seems like one place that his telling the Aristocrats joke would have been fitting. Outside of that, his derision for all their attempts at self congratulatory tripe was palpable. Actually, though he didn't do a great job of being their monkey (which was, I suppose, what I expected), his dry humor did much to reveal to me just how banal that event is. I always know that it is, but last night I found it tedious to sit through more than five minutes at a time. I've been ashamed to be interested in watching that show in the past...this time, he might have ruined it enough to keep me from being tempted again. For that, I suppose, I owe him thanks.

-s

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Devine" <jdevine03 at gmail.com> To: "LBO" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 11:06 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Re: oscars